The WonderDome is an LED-based art project begun in 2013. There are six LED strips, each 5 meters long and containing 240 LEDs. Each LED is independently addressable and supports 24-bit RGB color. The WonderDome runs Processing on a small ARM-based Linux computer to generate the visual effects.
The project is currently in progress, and a lot of work remains to be done! This section gives a breakdown of the tasks in the various areas of the project.
- decide on a layout for the LED strips
- select and buy ~31 meters of 1” ID tubing to encase the LED strips in
- construct enclosure to secure and protect the electronics
- determine max length from electronics to the PP and construct a combined power/ethernet cable
- create user account for WD software
- install Processing on the CB
- test headless Processing rendering to LEDs
- set up repository for source code
- determine how to build/deploy processing and control panel to the WD user
- reliability engineering – keep web server and processing alive while CB is on
- test USB microphone for sensitivity/pickup
- look into LeapMotion library and Processing integration
- construct non-phone mechanism for basic interaction with the WD (gestures?)
- design system to pass input data from phones (ideally JS) to Processing
- design/implement input interfaces
- design/implement rendering interfaces
- utility sketch to turn off the LEDs
- utility sketch for full white LEDs
- utility sketch to draw a test pattern (run at startup to fix slow first rendering)
- set up Rails(?) site to provide admin controls to the WD
- “remote” page which offers buttons, sliders, captures accellerometer, etc
The hardware making up the WonderDome can be broken down into four categories: power, networking, computing, and display.
- 300W 120V AC/5V DC Power Supply
- 200W 12V DC/5V DC Converter
- 15W 12V DC/5V DC Dual-USB Converter
- 12AWG Zip Wire (30 feet)
- Anderson PowerPole Connectors (6)
- 3’ USB to Type M Barrel 5V Power Cable
This section contains links to other references related to the project.